If you travel to China and want to use the Internet, you may have an acquaintance who has told you that in China you will not be able to use WhatsApp, Google Maps, or Facebook because of Internet blockage. Internet blocking in China is difficult to avoid, but we can tell you that the best thing is a SIM card with VPN so that you can travel online without any problems and use all your social networks.
Let’s get started!
1. WHY BUY A SIM CARD WITH VPN FOR CHINA?
AVOID PAYING A HIGH ROAMING BILL ON YOUR RETURN
Roaming in China can be very expensive, regardless of the operator and the rate you have contracted. Most likely you will come back with a very high roaming bill for normal internet use.
If you are from Vodafone, for example, you will pay at least 15 euros a day (a week is more than 100 euros), this counting on having the world travel fare active, because if you do not apply the maximum prices which are 6.05 euros per MB, that is, a GB would cost you 6,050 euros. With Orange the cheapest is 7 euros per 100MB (70 euros a GB) and Movistar 12 euros per MB (12,000 euros a GB, almost nothing).
As you can see, roaming in China is a full-blown scam. Here’s a comparison table of roaming prices in China:
MINIMUM ROAMING PRICES IN CHINA
|Operator||Minimum price||Maximum price|
|Movistar||12,10 euros / MB||idem|
|Vodafone||15 euros / day||6 euros / MB|
|Orange||7 euros / 100MB||12,10 euros / MB|
2. BEING ABLE TO USE WHATSAPP IN CHINA
One of the main problems when you travel to China due to internet blockage is that when you arrive in the country the first thing you want to do is communicate with your family and when we go to try to use our wonderful WhatsApp… ohh surprise, we can’t. Unpleasant, isn’t it?
This is one of the reasons why we should always travel prepared with the right internet.
3. AVOIDING INTERNET BLOCKING IN CHINA
As we mentioned at the beginning, in China there is a partial blockade of the Internet, a measure ordered by the Chinese government that will not allow you to navigate as if you were at home, so you can not access Google Maps, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, among others.
There are applications called VPN, which will allow you to break this blockade and surf in China like at home. The problem is that the Chinese government mostly manages to prevent these VPNs from working properly, and although the services probably manage to bypass the censorship for some time, none of them guarantee that they will do so the moment you are away.
That’s why the best VPN option for China is already incorporated in Holafly’s SIM card, this, so you don’t have any inconvenience when using your social networks and you can surf in China as if you were in your country.
HOW TO AVOID CENSORSHIP, ROAMING AND USE WHATSAPP IN CHINA
The best solution to have uncensored internet in China and be able to use your usual applications as mentioned above is to buy a SIM card with the best built-in VPN: this is a local SIM card that you can buy over the internet at Holafly before you leave on your trip.
SIM cards with the best VPN for China from Holafly can avoid censorship but in case you are not sure, we review all the options for not paying roaming in China so you can choose the one that suits you best.
Buy Holafly SIM card with built-in VPN for China
WHAT SIM CARD OPTIONS DO I HAVE FOR CHINA?
1. BUY YOUR SIM CARD WITH VPN FOR CHINA IN YOUR COUNTRY
This is probably the most comfortable option. If you buy Holafly’s SIM card, you won’t have to spend extra money hiring a VPN because the card already comes with the best built-in VPN so you can surf in China as if you were in your country (without any internet blocking). You buy the card from your country which is sent to your home so you can take it with you in your hand luggage and as soon as the plane lands you insert it in your mobile phone and you have internet from the first moment.
Holafly has two types of cards that come with the best built-in VPN for you to choose from:
- Physical Holafly SIM Card
- Holafly Virtual SIM Card (eSIM)
– SIM HOLAFLY PHYSICAL CARD WITH VPN
Thanks to the China Unicom network, Holafly will keep you connected with quality, security, privacy, and – most importantly – with total freedom, the latter because as you know the SIM card has the best VPN built in so you can use your lifelong apps, Facebook, WhatsApp, etc. The VPN guarantees that you can skip the censorship at any time.
This company has three options of physical SIM cards with VPN for China:
- 8 days with 5 GB for 25.65 euros (with discount for Travelistos)
- 15 days with 5GB for 27.55 euros (with discount)
- 30 days with 6GB for 34.20 euros (with discount)
- Free home delivery before you travel, the company will cover free shipping so that you receive your card within 72 working hours.
- Keeps your WhatsApp active so you can stay connected to your contacts by writing to them or making calls to them.
- 24 hour support.
It does not have cards that offer you data in less than eight days. Of course, for a trip to China it is worth staying more than 8 days 😉
– VIRTUAL HOLAFLY SIM CARD WITH VPN (ESIM)
eSIMs are virtual cards that are placed in the hardware (a specific chip) of your mobile or any other device, so you do not have to place any card in any slot. Its name comes from the term “embedded SIM”, eSim, which means integrated SIM card.
The eSIMs are not exclusive for mobiles, they can be found in different devices both wearable and for appliances, cars or other gadgets that stay connected to the Internet at all times.
If you have some of these devices, you may be interested in purchasing an eSIM:
- iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max and the iPhone Xr
- Google Pixel 2
- Samsung Galaxy S20
- Huawei P40.
This virtual card provides you with the same services as a normal physical data SIM card but with the difference that you don’t have to wait for it to arrive at your home. You will have it immediately in your email (in QR code). To activate the card you only have to scan the QR code and you will have it activated, that easy.
Holafly has 3 packs of eSim cards with VPN:
- 8 days 5GB with VPN for 25.65 euros (with Travelistos discount)
- 15 days 5GB with VPN for 27.55 euros (with discount)
- 30 days 7GB with VPN for 46.55 euros (with discount)
- Share data with others. Share data like a WIFI Pocket PC without having to carry another device. Use your mobile phone to generate a WIFI network and connect more devices.
- Keep your Whatsapp number. Write and call all your contacts with Whatsapp as if you were in your country. Stay in touch with your family and friends.
- Keep your line. Because it’s a digital eSIM, you can leave your eSIM line on for data and keep your regular line in parallel in case you need it.
- Immediate sending. No matter if you don’t have time or have already arrived at the destination, with this eSIM for China you can set up a data plan right away. Never again worry about whether your SIM will arrive on time.
- 24 hour help. This eSIM is very easy to use, but if you have any questions we help you by email and 24 hour chat support. We are here to help.
- At the moment the use of an eSIM is limited as it is only possible for the following mobile models: iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, Google Pixel 2 and Samsung Galaxy S20.
2. BUY THE SIM WHEN YOU ARRIVE IN CHINA
If you want to save some euros at the cost of having to look for the SIM on your arrival, you may be interested in finding a shop or a stall that sells them in China.
This is the option of a lifetime and has the disadvantage that you have to invest time of your trip, you will not have internet as soon as you land and you will not be able to use your social networks because no card bought at the destination has a VPN, but it is a perfectly valid alternative.
You’ll have to get used to Internet blocking and downloading applications used in China to communicate with your family, such as WeChat, the alternative to WhatsApp.
– CHINA MOBILE (WITHOUT VPN)
This company does not charge you the cost of the SIM, it will charge you for the Internet service and you have to find a physical store because it is not possible to buy the card online. What stands out about this operator is that you can choose to buy a long plan in case you plan to be in China for a long time and the data you don’t use is transferred from one month to the next. It has three packages, one of 300 MB, another of 2 GB, and another of more than 2 GB.
- Advantage: you will find plenty of shops and recharging points all over China.
- Disadvantage: your SIM cards are not always compatible with all types of phone models, especially foreign ones. So before you buy one, check the compatibility of your phone.
– CHINA UNICOM (WITHOUT VPN)
This other operator charges you for both the SIM card and the data plan. Their internet plans are a little less than China Mobile’s. They have four packages: One 300 MB, one 500 MB, one 800 MB and finally a plan with more than 5 GB of data.
Please note that in the case of the first card (300 MB), once you have completed your data package, you will be able to continue browsing but you will be charged per MB or per 100 MB package. Sometimes you will be able to receive them at your hotel.
- Advantage: if you are going to Northern China, you might want to use this card.
- Disadvantage: not all their promotions are 100% beneficial to the user, which is why you should always review the contract from end to end.
– CHINA TELECOM (WITHOUT VPN)
It is one of the smallest mobile operators in the country and is also one of the operators with the highest Internet access rate and SIM card cost. It has three data packages: one of 3 GB and two of 5 GB with coverage for 30 days or more if you need it.
The data expires according to the time interval stipulated in each card. If you have too much data and your card expires, there is no way to get a refund.
- Advantage: offers you packages that focus only on data rather than roaming style service (data, calls and SMS).
- Disadvantage: you can’t buy them online, you’ll have to do it in person at the official shops and with your passport in hand.
SIM OPTIONS (WITHOUT VPN)
It has two SIM cards that you can receive via delivery anywhere in the world. Its cost is around 50 euros and does not include calls or SMS, it is valid from eight to 15 days. Please note that this company is not part of the main operators in China.
- Advantage: you can buy it online.
- Disadvantage: this data SIM card does NOT include VPN and does not offer any card with a usage period longer than 30 days.
WHICH OPTION IS RIGHT FOR ME?
We chose Holafly’s Chinese VPN SIM card because it guarantees that you will be able to use all social networks on your trip without any problems.
Plus what it offers you:
- Three SIM card options with VPN for China
- Free shipping.
- Keep your number (so you can keep in touch with your friends and family)
- Data over 5 GB.
HOW MUCH DOES INTERNET COST IN CHINA WITH HOLAFLY, MOVISTAR, VODAFONE AND ORANGE
|Amount of data||Holafly||Movistar||Vodafone||Orange|
|2GB / 8 days||27 €||28000 €||120 €||160 €|
|5GB / 30 days||36 €||61400 €||450 €||350 €|
As you can see, the savings from buying a Holafly China SIM Card with VPN are simply tremendous.
TO BE CONSIDERED
- Buy a SIM card with your passport. If you are going to do it in a shop, supermarket or establishment. Also, to activate it, keep in mind that they will make you fill out a form with your data.
- Your SIM card with Chinese VPN works only there. If you want to make use of your card, and use the remaining data at home, you will not be able to. Unless, of course, you pay an additional fee.
- The Internet in China can be slow. This is because of the blockage the country has, the restriction has a side effect, which makes connections slow, even if you have your VPN. You may be able to break the barrier but that doesn’t ensure you’ll be able to surf at good speed.
- If there is free WiFi. The good news is that, as in other countries around the world, there are also free WiFi access points in China, whether in hotels, airports, cafes and bars. The downside is that you will have to be on the lookout for them and of course you will only be able to surf their authorized sites.
- Not all mobile phones work in China and some operate at a lower speed, the latter because China has its own 2G and 3G (TD-SCDMA) network, as well as 4G (TDD-LTE). If you want to know if your mobile will operate in China or not, we recommend you to visit the website kimovil.
Learn more about travel tips to China ,accommodation, documentation and requirements, currency exchange, among others.