If you travel to China and want to use the Internet, you may have an acquaintance who has told you that in China you will not be able to use WhatsApp, Google Maps, or Facebook because of Internet blockage. Internet blocking in China is hard to avoid, but there is already a SIM card with the best physical and digital VPN for China that you can use to travel and stay connected using all your social networks without any problems.
Let’s get started!
WHY USE VPN IN CHINA?
As we told you at the beginning, in China there is an internet blockade. That means you can’t use social networking sites like WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook, Twitter, or search engines that make our lives much easier when we’re on the road like Google or Google Maps.
The only cities in which you can use the internet without any problem as they are autonomous regions are Hong Kong and Macao. It should be noted that internet restrictions in these two cities exist but are very low.
HOW TO AVOID CENSORSHIP AND USE WHATSAPP IN CHINA
In many occasions what we are most worried about is being able to use Whatsapp in China, because if not, how do I communicate with my family and friends. At least to let them know that I’m okay.
If your trip is to a city other than Hong Kong or Macau. The recommendation is to bring a VPN that will allow you to isolate the blockage and be able to use the internet as if you were in Spain. If you do not have a VPN with you, you will have to get used to using the internet with the restrictions. That is, change WhatsApp for Wechat to be able to communicate with your relatives, or Google maps for Baidu the biggest search engine in China.
BUT WHAT’S A VPN?
It is an online tool that will allow you to access the Internet in China via a Virtual Private Network (VPN) where you can surf without the fear of your information being compromised. It is in this form of browsing that an Internet blocker such as the one in China will not prevent you from accessing the network of networks.
There are many VPN options for China on the market today that allow you to bypass the blockade. The disadvantage with these VPNs is that they are persecuted by the Chinese government to prevent them from working, which is why many of the VPNs do not manage to overcome the strong blockages. For these reasons, sometimes when we travel we are surprised that the VPN does not work.
SO WHAT’S THE BEST VPN FOR CHINA?
A few months ago on our trip to China we took with us a SIM Card that already comes with a built-in VPN. We commented to you that really it is a wonder, it allowed us to be totally connected in all the trip being able to use all our social networks without any inconvenience and the best thing to very good price for the service that offers.
We guarantee that with this card with a built-in VPN you will have no inconvenience in your journey and best of all you will have secure and private access to the internet. Plus internet from the first moment. As soon as your plane lands, you insert the card in your mobile and you have internet.
There are 2 VPN SIM card options for China: Physical SIM card and Virtual eSIM card.
1. PHYSICAL SIM CARD WITH VPN FOR CHINA: BY HOLAFLY
A SIM card for China, which you already know – they are identical to the cards in your phone. Holafly SIM cards come with built-in VPN so you can use apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, or read your Gmail emails. They are very easy to use and use the network of China Unicom, one of the best mobile operators in the Asian country.
They allow you to access the Internet in China at cheaper prices and have 3 packages of SIM cards with VPN:
- 8 days with 5GB for 25.65 euros (with Travelistos discount)
- 15 days with 5GB for 27.55 euros (with discount)
- 30 days with 6GB for 34.20 euros (with discount)
- Share data with others: share data as if it were a Pocket Wifi without having to carry another device. Use your mobile phone to generate a Wifi network and connect more devices.
- You keep your Whatsapp: don’t lose contact with family and friends, with this SIM you keep your Spanish number in WhatsApp to call and write to all your contacts.
- You maintain security and privacy: It is a private network so it guarantees you security in your navigation.
- Economical. Very economical when compared to roaming or MiFi, its cost-benefit is very profitable for a traveler like you, who does not want to waste your budget, but quite the opposite.
- Free shipping. Holafly sends it to your home for free, so you can save even more.
- 24 hour support.
Buy SIM Card with VPN for China
2. E-SIM IN CHINA: VIRTUAL SIM WITH VPN
For travelers who like to stay up to date on technology and have one of the following mobile phones iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, Phone Xr, Google Pixel 2, Samsung Galaxy S20 or Huawei P40, you may be interested to know that there is a virtual SIM card (eSIM) that you can buy from anywhere in the world.
WHAT IS AN ESIM?
eSIMs are virtual cards that are placed in the hardware (a specific chip) of your mobile or any other device, so you do not have to place any card in any slot. Its name comes from the term “embedded Sim”, eSim, which means integrated SIM card.
The eSIMs are not exclusive for mobiles, they can be found in different devices both wearable and for appliances, cars or other gadgets that stay connected to the Internet at all times.
This virtual card provides you with the same services as a normal data SIM card but with the difference that you don’t have to wait for it to arrive at your home. You will have it immediately in your email (in QR code), scan it and have it activated, that easy.
Holafly has 3 packs of eSim cards with VPN:
- 8 days 5GB with VPN for 25.65 euros (with Travelistos discount)
- 15 days 5GB with VPN for 27.55 euros (with discount)
- 30 days 7GB with VPN for 46.55 euros (with discount)
- Share data with others. Share data like a WIFI Pocket PC without having to carry another device. Use your mobile phone to generate a WIFI network and connect more devices.
- Keep your Whatsapp number. Write and call all your contacts with Whatsapp as if you were in Spain. Stay in touch with your family and friends.
- Maintain security and privacy: It’s a private network so you can be sure of safe surfing.
- Keep your line. Because it’s a digital eSIM, you can leave your eSIM line on for data and keep your regular line in parallel in case you need it.
- Immediate sending. No matter if you have no time or you have already arrived at the destination, with this eSIM for China you configure a data plan on the spot. Never again worry about whether your SIM will arrive on time.
- 24 hour help. This eSIM is very easy to use, but if you have any questions we help you by email and 24 hour chat support. We are here to help
- At the moment the use of an eSIM is limited as it is only possible for the following mobile models: iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, Google Pixel 2 and Samsung Galaxy S20.
Buy eSIM Card with VPN for China
We’ve already discussed the best VPN option to avoid blocking the Internet in China. But if you’re still not convinced, let’s review what other options you have.
OTHER VPN OPTIONS FOR CHINA
This company was founded in 2012 and currently serves more than 12 million customers worldwide. Its main objective at the beginning was to create a technology that could liberalize the Internet by becoming a trusted solution for online security.
To use this VPN you must download the application that will allow you to avoid internet blocking in China but you must bear in mind that to surf the internet you must be connected to a wifi network or have a data sim installed on your mobile.
Its sale mode is by subscription and you can get plans from 1 month onwards by paying 10.63 euros for the one month plan, but remember that you are only paying for the VPN application to avoid internet blocking in China, that is, apart from buying the data to surf so it is an additional cost.
- Protect your online security at all times
- You will have the peace of mind of knowing that your data will always be private
- Feel safe with any device
- 24/7 assistance in English.
This other application must also be downloaded for installation on your mobile or electronic device. It also offers a private, ultra-fast connection in over 94 countries to access the sites and online content you want. In a nutshell, avoid internet blocking in China.
Its sales model is also by subscription and has plans from 1 month onwards for a value of 12.33 euros per month. Remember that in addition to that price you must add the purchase of data to be able to navigate in China.
- Stay safe and anonymous every time you log on.
- Unlimited access worldwide
- 24-hour technical support in English
- 30-day money back guarantee. This is in case you are not satisfied with the service.
Based in Sweden, it offers the highest levels of security and privacy, stable connections from anywhere in the world. It is considered one of the most private and high-speed VPN providers, but also one of the fewest network servers.
- High privacy, protected by 2048-bit military-grade encryption
- Complete anonymity
- Ease of installation and use
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Important: any of the application VPNs must be installed on your mobile before your trip to China, because once you are in China it will no longer be possible.
WHAT IS THE BEST OPTION TO AVOID THE BLOCKADE IN CHINA?
In our experience, the most recommended option is the SIM card with built-in VPN. Because it gives you both the possibility of avoiding internet blocking and security in navigation, as well as enough data to be connected without having to search for a SIM card at the destination. All the services in a single package and with a single payment at a very economic cost.
TO BE CONSIDERED
- Buy a SIM card with your passport. If you opt for a local SIM card (buy it when you arrive in China) you will do so in person at a shop, supermarket or establishment. Also, to activate it, keep in mind that they will make you fill out a form with your data.
- Your SIM card with Chinese VPN works only there. If you want to make use of your card, and use your leftover data at home, you will not be able to. Unless, of course, you pay an additional fee.
- The Internet in China can be slow. This is because of the blockage the country has, the restriction has a side effect, which makes connections slow, even if you have your VPN. You may be able to break the barrier but that doesn’t ensure you’ll be able to surf at good speed.
- If there is free WiFi. The good news is that, as in other countries around the world, there are also free WiFi access points in China, whether in hotels, airports, cafes and bars. The downside is that you will have to be on the lookout for them and of course you will only be able to surf their authorized sites.
- Not all mobile phones work in China and some operate at a lower speed, the latter because China has its own 2G and 3G (TD-SCDMA) network, as well as 4G (TDD-LTE). If you want to know if your mobile will operate in China or not, we recommend you to visit the website kimovil.
Learn more about travel tips to China ,accommodation, documentation and requirements, currency exchange, among others.